So I am in charge of the company Christmas party this year. After booking the location and working out the logistics, I sat down to design the invitations. I started writing up the invitation and the first thing I did was message my boss and ask if I could call the event a Christmas party.
After I’d asked the question, I thought more about it, and realized how irritated I was that I had to ask. I work for a small company, and we are all Christians. We have Bible verses stuck all over the office equipment. My boss is my worship pastor. Unfortunately, this is how my brain has started to function, as a product of the US public school system, and society as a whole. When did I start asking if it was okay to celebrate Christmas?
Maybe when I was a choir kid and had to call the concerts “holiday concerts”. Maybe when they made us sing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer instead of Silent Night, or Jingle Bells instead of Away In A Manger. Or when my dear friend’s 5 year old son commented that we couldn’t sing “We wish you a Merry Christmas”, because one of his teachers didn’t celebrate Christmas. They sang “We Wish You A Happy Holiday” instead.
I, for one, am offended that MY reason for celebrating Christmas gets swept under the rug. I’m not offended by menorahs or dreidels. Our Muslim friend Omar observes Ramadan – we had him over for dinner after sundown several times to break his fast. It’s called common courtesy. Happy Hanukkah in no way offends or demeans me or my faith – in fact, I welcome it. However, without Christ, what reason is there to celebrate Christmas?
This campaign in the DC area infuriated me.
WASHINGTON, D.C. — You better watch out. There is a new combatant in the Christmas wars.
Ads proclaiming, “Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness’ sake,” will appear on Washington, D.C., buses starting next week and running through December. The American Humanist Association unveiled the provocative $40,000 holiday ad campaign Tuesday.
Christians have been accused of discrimination and bigotry for so long that we’re just expected to take a back seat. We no longer have a recognized voice. And this isn’t even just Christians: a full 92% of the US population believes in God – and an overwhelming 96% celebrate Christmas. Why then, I ask, should 96% of the population be silenced, while the other 4% spend $40,000 telling the rest of the country not to believe? Are there not better ways to spend that $40,000? Apparently poor spending habits aren’t limited to our government.
I refuse to say happy holidays. I’m celebrating Christmas this year. If I am speaking to a Jew, I will be glad to wish them Happy Haunkkah, etc. However, the idea that we can avoid hurting the feelings of minorities by diluting our own beliefs is obnoxious. So please, wish me a Merry Christmas this year. I will return the favor.